For several years now Moss Acres has been developing specialized green roof systems that involve growing moss on synthetic “felt”
mats. These mats can then be utilized as a lightweight alternative to conventional roofing media/sedum plantings for green roof installations.
The benefits of using moss for green roofs are numerous:
1) Lightweight – Ideal for green roofs on buildings with load bearing constraints
2) Lower Cost - Moss mats are shipped dry and are very easy to transport, handle, and install. The material, labor and staging expense savings can be significant.
3) Low Maintenance - Moss requires no fertilization, pesticides or
even watering to survive. Moss has no
roots and receives all nutrients and moisture through it’s leaves from rainfall.
4) Water Retention & Insulating Properties
– Green roof systems comprised of moss mats and a water retention
underlayment combine for significant storm water holding capacity, protect the
roofing membrane, and provide significant insulating capabilities.
5) Versatile: Sun or Shade -
Various species of moss are available on our mats for most any type of
living roof location – from full sun to full shade.
6) Appearance - The vibrant shades of green produced by moss
make it an ideal choice for any green roof design.
If you are considering a specialized green roof system that
could benefit from all the advantages that a moss covered green roof has to
offer, then please call us at 866 GET MOSS or email us your project details, photos/plans and, or any questions. We can then provide you with an estimate for your project.